About "First You Jump"
First You Jump is an offbeat - and unusually flexible play. Each of the five acts is a solo play, separated and connected by an overarching theme and a narrator who sings the songs with piano accompaniment. It can be:
- A full-length musical (approx. 90 minutes)
- A five-scene one-act play without music (approx. 1 hour)
- Five separate short plays (10-14 minutes each without music)
- Five separate short musical pieces (13-18 minutes each)
- A play or musical for up to six actors
- A solo tour de force for a single actress
- Staged with full sets or as simply a table and a chair.
Sharon - A US Senator running for re-election
Dolores - A composer in her 40s (This role may be played by a male)
Pinocchio - The marionette, now middle-aged, bitter and very human
Corinne - An energetic single woman in her 30s
Esther - A widowed housewife in her 60s
Singer/narrator - a song introduces each scene and ties them together
Start your tour: Act 1: Damage Control >>